As we near the end of this year’s open enrollment season, it is prime time for people to try and get you to change insurance plans and Medicare TV scams are rampant. Many of our clients have been experiencing an abundance of calls stating they can offer more benefits than you have now. They may even know your doctors and medications. They are NOT your insurance company and if you are not careful you could end up with different insurance come 2021.
Extra Benefits and Big Promises
TV Ads featuring prominent celebrities and sports figures promise all these “Extra” benefits and even money back! If these ads intrigue you, we URGE you to check with your insurance agent first! Yes, these features are available, but not all of the features are available in every plan or in every area. Getting money back may require financial qualifications through your state or through Social Security- or it may not include a prescription drug plan. Most of these calls have one goal in mind- To get you to switch plans! You may not even realize they have changed your plan until you go to your doctor in the new year and find out your insurance has changed. We want to make sure you have the information you need to protect your personal information, your wallet, and your Medicare plan. Hang up if:
- You are happy with your current plan
- If they ask you for your Medicare #, Your Social Security #, or your birthdate
- If you have a trusted local agent…. Always go to them first as they have your best interest at heart
- NEVER EVER SAY THE WORD “YES”- This could be perceived as an okay to switch your plan, even if you just sounded interested in the “extra” benefits
What to do if you receive a call like the one listed above:
- Do not trust caller ID
- Do not give your personal information
- Block the caller
- Call 1-800-Medicare if you feel your current plan has been jeopardized
Safely navigate Medicare changes:
- If you are looking for general information from a reliable source, go to gov, or call 1-800-Medicare
- If you need guided assistance, do your research and find a licensed agent like Medicare Insurance Specialty Group, who has YOUR best interest in mind.
*Medicare Insurance Specialty Group is Not Approved By, Endorsed By, or Affiliated With A Government Agency. We do not offer every plan available in your area. Any information we provide is limited to those plans we do offer in your area. Please contact Medicare.gov or 1-800-MEDICARE to get information on all of your options.